Tuesday 15 April 2008

Tilpa reached!


Hi all,

Well right now I am in Tilpa, some 480 kilometres away from the confluence of the Bogan, Barwon and Culgoa rivers, from whence I started. This is really just a quick update to let you all know that I am ok and am now looking forward to what looks to be one of the most challenging parts of this expedition: Tilpa to Wilcannia.

.

Zannia and I set off on the 30th of last month where the Darling begins and made rather rapid progress to Bourke. Wild pigs, goats, turtles and birds a plenty. We got stuck at one point and I hopped out of the kayak to push us off the sand bank we were on. Took one step, then another and before you know it I was waist deep in mud. Instead of helping me, Zanni just laughed.

Once at Bourke it took a day or so to organise the next stage with Pip and the rest of the Melbourne mob: Paul, Rob and of course Redbox (Pip’s dog). In the end we took three kayaks – mine and two of James (two flash mirage kayaks). Red box sat in the middle of my big beast and had two people paddling for him – when he sat in a kayak at all of course. The first day or so he must have run 20 kilometres. He was exhausted. Bourke to Louth was a top leg. Good company, fruitless fishing, goat stew and a hugely varied river as we wended our way down. On the last day the lads decided to be picked up early and I pushed on by myself – a long leg of just under 70k’s, which was good but exhausting.

Now though, I am in Tilpa. I’ve crossed a few weirs (see photos), met some good people, paddled like buggery. I’ve had a shower (bliss!) and had a day off paddling to recoup my energies before heading off on this next, long leg (some 280 kilometres if I remember correctly from earlier calculations).

My principle concern at the moment is the river itself. Will there be enough water to get right the way through. I was told that I it would be tough to get to Bourke. I was told in Bourke it would be hard to get to Louth (if not impossible) and I was told Tilpa was touch and go. So far so good. But I do know that the amount of water in the river at the moment means I will be dragging the kayak over some shallow sections on my way to Wilcannia.

Wish me luck.

Regards,

Christo