Thursday 15 May 2008

Supplies and the route to Wentworth

Well, I've managed to reach Pooncarie, which is around 1,350 odd kilometres from where I started. A decent old paddle really.

What does this all mean? Well, it means I only have about 240 kilometres to go before I reach the confluence of the Darling and Murray Rivers. It also means reaching Wentworth, which is a decent sized town and a place where I will actually be able to buy a reasonable amount of supplies.

Imagine that.

I went into the general store here at Pooncarie to stock up on supplies but I wouldn't say that the selection was terribly extensive. I didn't see any eggs but I did get some bacon. A little bit of meat, some flour, chocolate, tea and some biscuits was all I was able to buy. This means no sweetened condensed milk to help me through. Tragedy!

I expect the river will be quite challenging from here for quite some way. There was today 72 mega litres going over the Pooncarie weir, which is very little indeed. Normally i would expect around 200. Apparently the reason there is only 72 is that I am now on a controlled river (since Menindee) and the government system is on the blink. The people in Menindee who open up the weir to supply water downstream know how much water is going through by looking but the metres show something different. In other words, the system is broken and as a result they are not allowed to let more water through until somebody from Sydney has been sent out and recalibrated the water metres.

May that be sooner than later is my prayer.